Alright, I cannot bear to hold this in any longer.
The Dream vs Dream spriting team is actually a lot smaller than most people think and by small I mean I CAN COUNT THEM ON ONE HAND. The project itself was built on a shaky foundation. The (old) founder thought it would be A GREAT IDEA to start an ambitious fighting game project WITHOUT A SINGLE ARTIST to back him up, with no regards to the concept that a fighting game is literally 90% graphics.
Sure, the project had been a steady but slow trickle of volunteers since its inception, but spritework is kind of considered “the intimidating job that nobody wants”. New members that sign up usually flock to doing character portraits, voice acting, concept art….pretty much anything else!
…so now the game’s got a ton of pretty music and stages and character portraits not to mention AN ENTIRE ENGINE CODED FROM SCRATCH—but without character sprites to make it a complete game, all that hard work from everyone will bear little fruit.
Last year, quite a few nice artists joined us—most of them barely had any spriting experience whatsoever (including me!!) and we somehow made it work. We now have enough Madotsuki sprites (over 150 individual frames, I think) to make a playable alpha, which will come out soon. Many of those artists have left since then. I have tried recruiting some more in the process, but unless we get more artists FAST, the game will, at worst, remain an alpha, with Madotsuki as the only character. At best, we can probably make the 3 other main dreamers (Sabitsuki Urotsuki Usotsuki) with our current resources, and god knows how long that’ll take.
For those of you interested in helping out with character sprite animations (especially people with previous animation experience), please don’t hesitate to contact me!!!
Also one more thing!!! Don’t be intimidated by either the word "sprites" or "animation"!!
"sprite" will just mean we will be using a non-anti-alias coloring style for ease of colorswaps, but otherwise we use regular cel shading. Nothing fancy. No 50+ layers of tedious dithering that you normally see in pixel art
"animation" is a bit trickier, but keep in mind that fighting games sprites are characterized by a fairly low framerate (most of the motion in a fighter sprite are really just keyframes and lots of smears)
Another thing! We can also use some special effects artists as well (hitsparks, to be specific)
…I’ll make a formal post on this once the alpha release is out.
- greyscalewonderland reblogged this from askwursttorte
- greyscalewonderland likes this
- askwursttorte reblogged this from whitepool
- aneggplant likes this
- nasalbutt likes this
- chubbu likes this
- rindre likes this
- a-na-ta said:I’ve been actually thinking of rejoining the process since spriting was a lot of fun, I just didn’t have a whole lot of time for it. Things have cleared up since then though, so I’ll be on a look out. :’D
- go-go-ghost-ship likes this
- hikikomerri reblogged this from whitepool and added:
- ohkyouko likes this
- kiminitodokenai likes this
- cartoncretin reblogged this from aberrantkenosis
- agentbaxx reblogged this from super-mario-rpg
- tifannilly likes this
- jpattonart likes this
- chireidenroom likes this
- aanzhen reblogged this from overlordmal
- tfffdssdw3e23121212 likes this
- themerrymagicianjazzy likes this
- super-mario-rpg reblogged this from aberrantkenosis
- overlordmal reblogged this from whitepool
- ultipoter reblogged this from whitepool
- ultipoter likes this
- bretohdeau reblogged this from whitepool
- bretohdeau likes this
- thegoatnamedfelicia likes this
- thegoatnamedfelicia reblogged this from aberrantkenosis
- aberrantkenosis reblogged this from whitepool and added:
- infinipede reblogged this from whitepool and added:
- coalmaeda likes this
- infinipede likes this
- girakacheezer said:I’d be interested in helping out but you don’t seem to be on skype recently.
- thehappinessmachine likes this
- retrolizard reblogged this from whitepool and added:
- miodas reblogged this from merrysteak
- boo-alpha likes this
- sesakamonster reblogged this from whitepool and added:
- rarooooo likes this
- mihari reblogged this from whitepool
- somedan0203 likes this
- rezllen likes this
- merrysteak reblogged this from whitepool
- fg7sgamedevblog reblogged this from whitepool and added:
- whitepool posted this